Tuesday, December 20, 2005

May I have some "Scabled Eggs" please?

Some of the cultural differences we have experienced while in China have been funny and so have some of the mis-spellings. For example, there is a sign in the breakfast room that says "Scabled Eggs"- wow, I don't know what those are but I don't want em'! Most of the Chinese that we meet can say a few words in English and many can speak in decent broken English if not better. I have learned over the past 2 weeks to not give a lot of detail when I am speaking with them because when I do they become confused pretty fast. I have found that imitating the local attempt at English is what they are most comfortable with. So, I am adding the word "yes" or "ok" to every sentence because this is what they do. So, I will be talking with someone about some gift item I am negotiating for and even where it doesn't make sense I will say "yes" to let them know things are ok and we are communicating well. So, here is a sample sentence, "No, that is too much how about 40 Yuan - yes?"

Some of the other interesting things are that each hotel floor has an assistant to help with the elevator or to give any directions that are needed. Also, the main lobbies all have people in uniform to give directions. And, you can hardly open a door here by yourself- there are people to do that as well. Very interesting and amazing service. You are swarmed at breakfast with people to help you in the restaurant.

I gave my Bible away to my guide yesterday which is illegal to do. I love it. I also love that he was interested in it. May the Lord do a work in his life! He's a great guy and we are going to try to keep in touch. He said it is illegal to buy a Bible unless you buy one from a State run church. Unfortunately they alter the content so it is not really a reliable source of truth as a pure translation that has not been tampered with. My Bible is NIV so it should be a decent translation for him as well as a readable one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Praise God! May God save his soul, yes?

-Kelly